Saturday, January 8, 2011

Open mouth, insert foot.

This is something I have, at times excelled in, both at work and in my personal life. In my personal life, the worst in recent memory was when I told a friend of mine, via text, that I didn't like sloppy, sentimental chain text messages. In return she told me that her grandchild had died in utero at term....garrh! Needless to say she didn't take the call when I rang to apologise, profusely, even though I didn't know anything about it. I'm still not fond of that type of text message, or email.
a
At work, however, we are expected to not give our personal opinions, no matter what bizarre or unreasonable shit we hear of our patients/clients doing. Sometimes. it just slips out.
Examples: (yeah, yeah I know, confidentiality, well I'll keep that) After an arguement with a patient (with a personality disorder) who was driving me mad, particularly about mobile phones I told him that I didn't believe he even had one. Well he waved it at me when his partner brought it in and I said "well, they'll give one to anyone these days won't they?" It was the nineties and a lot harder to get one then, but all in all perhaps I just should've walked out the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment