Friday, January 7, 2011

Mobile phones

Call me old fashioned, but how unnecessary are these creations of Satan? Yes I (theoretically) have one and have for years. I only theoretically have one because I'm waiting for my replacement iPhone from a certain telco that I won't name, but their name begins with O... I've been waiting for about a month now, so I'm a little over it. Over the years I've had: a brick (from the analogue days) which my parents handed down to me, a blue alcatel, a silver phone (don't remember the brand), a nokia 3310, a nokia flip phone with camera (cool), a nokia n73, and finally the iPhone. I love it and have gotten used to being able to play music in my car through it, taking photos with it and checking my bank balance via the internet with it, now I'm bereft. I digress however.
Why do I think they are unnecessary? Who needs to be reachable all the time? Really? Mothers, drs and businessmen don't answer, but really, do you need to talk at the local cafe? No, or walking down the street etc. My oldest (23 yr old daughter) asked what we used to do without them the other day. Well, live. I actually told her that we made firm arrangements at a prior time and stuck to them and didn't send meaningless but constant texts (wot r u doing?), or call each other at 3 in the morning. Anyway, one of the reasons parents buy their kids phones is to be able to reach them if necessary and half the time they don't answer them! Often and my own kids have admitted this, they'll look at the phone when it rings, see it's mum (or it has a special ring tone for parents) and turn it off or silent. Garrh!
Why do I think they're instruments of Satan? In a few words, the telcos and their contracts.
1 the contract wording is indecipherable, so that when your bill is a bit (or a lot) bigger than you expected, you can't work out why.I'm sure they've realized that they can make more money from mobiles than landlines and would love it if we all had only mobiles.
2 the plans for the same reason as above.
3 customer service: hahahaha....
4 research has shown that someone who uses a mobile phone for more than 30 minutes a day has an increased risk of developing glioblastomas (or malignant brain tumor). I don't like feeling like a lab rat. The heat you get from a mobile after a long conversation is just scary, so now I use them on speaker phone ALWAYS.
Having said all of this, I still have a phone, go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment