Friday, January 28, 2011

Books

I like books. Always have and always will. I grew up in a house (female heavy, poor old dad) where reading was the norm. Sure dad only read the paper, wheels and some boating/fishing magazine when I was a kid, but now he reads....books. I tried to encourage my son to read, it waxes and wanes, I think that a boy (or man child as I "affectionately" refer to him) with ADHD that reads at all is doing well. My husband reads, that too waxes and wanes, but still he's read war and peace (and that's more than I've been able to do). At the moment, I'm trying to instil a love of reading in my 7 year old who would gladly sit in front of a screen playing any of the foxtel kids channels or wii all day if I let her. It seems to be working so far.
Secret to confess, I was a nerd at school tried to hide it as a late teenager with all sorts of bad behavior but there you have.I'm a nerd and proud of it. I did well at school and read a lot, oh and can sew pretty well too. I've seen the question (dunno where), what's your favorite book. WTF? There's way too many to pick from. I can usually pick from a list, so here it is.In no particular order either. Add yours.
The Stand by Stephen King; the extended version. I love how he describes the super flu passing on and on and on...
Insomnia by Stephen King: superhero pensioners and auras, what more could you want
Firestarter by Stephen King: sad, but scary to imagine it easily happening.
Carrie by Stephen King: telekinesis, yeah.
The Dead Zone by Stephen king: another sad one.
Oh, I also liked Under the Dome and Duma Key and It. There, I'll stop my Stephen King obsession. I do have a sizable collection of his books, along with dean koontz books.
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Do I really need to explain this? I also have the Hobbit.
Gone With the Wind by Margeret Mitchell: so much was missed out in the movies.
The Womens Room by Marilyn French: written about the time when women actually started to break out of their shackles and showed while better, it wasn't utopia and that was ok.
The Godfather by Mario Puzo: Italian crime by an Italian author.
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris: liked his style of writing ( have also enjoyed Hannibal and Red Dragon).
Exodus by Leon Uris: I know he has a bias, but it puts into perspective why things went down
that path (have also read the Haj and Mila 18).
Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor: sad historial romance.
Harry Potter and.... By JK Rowling: I know it started off as a kids series, but it was very well done.

There's just a few. Notice there's no highbrow books? I've read plenty of the classics, but haven't necessarily enjoyed them all. Some of them are too much hard work to really enjoy and personally, I think there's nothing wrong with just reading a book that you can relax with.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment