Saturday, January 29, 2011

Housework

Have you noticed how housework just keeps on? I have read somewhere, that housework really has nothing to do with motherhood. So let's just clear up that straight away. I did not come from my mothers womb with a duster or wettex clutched in my tiny hand. It is not instinctive, it's a learned behaviour. I have also read somewhere (I really love being able to reference vague articles without having to actually have a hard copy clutched in my hot little...), that animals will keep their own abodes clean and relatively tidy, just as so will humans, properly raised. Does that mean it is an actual instinct??? Oh the horror.
Anyway, I loathe the ongoing aspect of housework. You just put in hours upon hours of work and it looks great. Then, it all slowly goes to shit. It takes about 5 hours to properly clean my house. That includes, sweeping, vacuuming, toilets, baths, shower screens, hand basins, wiping walls & windows, dusting, changing sheets, hanging washing out & bringing it in and finally cleaning the oven. Folding (& if necessary, ironing) said washing is a separate venture, best done in front of the tv, with a movie of my choice. My mother, who I might add is retired, says to just do bits at a time. Yeah right, I'm gonna do housework just after I've come back from work at 5.30. My dad (who was home earlier than her), my sister and I used to do some of that housework each day.I have gone the easy route. I pay someone to come in once a fortnight for 4 hours. She does the basics and I do the maintenance. Your kids, no matter the age will protest at anything you ask them to do around the home. Eg: why do I have to do everythhing? All you've asked them to do is their bed or unpack the dishwasher. Older kids merely sit on the couch while you work and reassure you that "all you have to do is ask" while they leave empty wrappers, bowls, cups, cutlery, plastic bags about. Grrr.
My mother (she of the do a bit everyday) did the subject "domestic science" , or some such at high school in the 50s. They got taught how to be a housewife. Now this was for girls only, but I would be in favour of returning that for all. Kids don't really want to listen to you when you try to teach them. I've seen how their washing gets hung out. The result is neither Mstr 20 or miss 23 are any great shakes at housework. I got to witness firsthand after my surgery last year, when my energy levels were the worst they've ever been and the couch was my home, just how poor everyones skills in the house were. Is it my fault, not sure, but boy were they glad when I was once again able to resume the housework duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment