Sunday, January 16, 2011

I hate you forever (or at least until I get sick of it)

Also known as: Open mouth, insert foot for men.
Why do they do this? You'd think they'd know (from their fathers etc) or at least learn. Maybe they want to see it happen to them too. Anything you say even in jest, can potentially be remembered for the rest of your life.....and used against you. My (hapless) husband has been good at this over the years. Examples:
1991 (see, told you so), Metallica was touring after the release of their black album. I didn't have the money at the time and asked hubbie (then boyfriend) if he could loan me the money for mine so we could go together as afriend was going to camp out for the tickets and needed the $ quickly (before my pay day). Anywho, he said and I quote "no I dont want to see them, I've seen all the bands I want to see" end quote. I believe I said "you will live to regret that comment". He did, but the wheel turned and I really made him pay for it when Kiss (ugh) came on tour. I eventually got to see Metallica, but by then they'd cut their hair and just weren't the same.
1996 (just reinforces my earlier point doesn't it) I pronged in to a taxi while in Melbourne. We had to hire a car to go back to Brisbane. fiancé (hubby) rang various companies. Eventually my mother rushed to the end of the house I was in with the kids and told me to stop him. Why you might ask. He apparently (and still hasn't denied this) said "we need to hire a car to take up to Brisbane, we've just had an accident in ours" Weirdly enough they (a national company) didn't have any spare!!! Fancy that. We still giggle about that one today.
This is not to forget the times he confessed (under the influence of several drinkies) about things he'd done when we were in our 20s (and together), particularly in front of one of our friends, which often lead to drunken squabbles and/or seething looks across the table.
Just in case you're wondering, no my husband is not an idiot. He's actually very bright, just lacks a bit of common sense.
I'm also sure that he's not the only one afflicted with this syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment