Saturday, January 8, 2011

Acronyms

Life is full of acronyms. For those working in healthcare, there's even more.
POP = plaster of paris (for broken arms/legs etc)
MI = myocardial infarction (heart attack)
HOV = head on view (when a baby's head can be seen externally while a woman's in labour)
See? You can write your notes quicker and let's face it, it's like a secret language. Pig latin anyone???
I'm sure lots of other professions have acronyms. Some of my favourite ones are never written down, here's why.
FIGJAM = fuck I'm good, just ask me (I've heard of some surgeons suffering from that syndrome)
FITH syndrome = fucked in the head syndrome (lots of people with that one)
ICLT = inter cranial lead therapy (lots of people need a bullet to the head too)
Of course acronyms are creeping into everyday life, particularly via mobiles/internet and can at first appear quite baffling.
ATM = at the moment (and here I just thought that you got money from one)
OMM = on my mind
LMAO = laughing my arse off (I'd gotten the hang of LOL and even ROFL, couldn't we just stick with them?
I'm sure people can think of others, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment