Friday, January 7, 2011

Head lice

Gaarrh!!! This could be a very short post as that says it all. My 10 year old recently told me she had an itchy head. My blood just ran cold,oh, and I started scratching my own head in automatic sympathy. How does a child catch nits during the school holidays?? Anyway I coated her LONG hair in conditioner and combed a thriving metropolis of nits and lice out of her hair....and then doused it in kp24. The worst thing is that I've had to come my own now continuously itchy scalp and my 7 year olds (another long haired girl who shunted very loudly) and will have to wash my pillow slips etc. The vile memory of months of infestation previously spurs me on.
Advice to those that need it, let's face it, now I'm an expert.
Conditioner, put through dry hair and comb out "bugs" with a steel nit comb in sections. Comb a single section until clear. Repeat in 2-3 days, until a week after you've seen no "bugs".
Wash all sheets, towels etc. Drying in tumble dryer will kill any lice or nits off with the heat (only time ever recommend using a dryer apart from rain).
Kp24 lotion can be used as well. Use after 5 days not 7, a hairdresser told me that one. I know it's chemical laden etc, but it's effective!
Treat the whole house at least once. The nit comb will show if they need it or not.
Young primary school kids are more prone to it as they love hugging each other. A preventative spray can be purchased and applied each school day, or one made at home using tea tree or lavender oil and water. Please notify the school if you notice your child has them. They don't send kids home with them anymore and as a result they often spread like wildfire.

There, that was funny wasn't it? Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment