Monday, May 16, 2011

Ugg boots

As a Melbourne girl, I grew up with ugg boots and moccasins too. I had them both and loved them.  My moccasins were usually black, very fetching, oh and I was classy enough to wear them outside the house. My ugg boots too, for that matter. You could get them from all the markets, the Vic market included. Mine were beige, long with tasteful braid around the top. Yum. Well, I've finally gotten sick of the ugg boot style slippers with fake fur that disintegrate after a season's wear. My last pair from a popular chain store by the name of R*&^rs had half the sole pull away after a couple of months. Repeated glueing by my husband hasn't helped. I finally got sick of it, got sick of fake ugg boots, sick of magazine slippers (yes, I have them) and decided to lash out again.
Travelling overseas, we saw in NYC of all places (!?!?!) ugg boots out in public. Admittedly, it was cold (freezing), but really! The worst thing was, they were wearing Ugg Boot Australia brand. Now, clearly, that is an oxymoron. Apparently, in the 70s, a surfer (?from the US) saw the locals in Sydney wearing ugg boots and took the idea back home, as you do. Thus began a patent war. The parent company, Deckers took over in the 1990s and have expanded, as the Americans do. Deckers tried to trademark the phrase/words ugg boots etc, but Uggs n Ruggs led the challenge and it got overturned on the basis that ugg boots is actually a generic term in Australia (and NZ I think) and so Australian ugg boot makers have gone beserk on the internet. I do find it ironic that Ugg Australia is so called given that it's an American brand and who knows where they're actually made, or the sheep from. So, I bought a lovely pair of Blue Mountain ugg boots (100% Aussie made). I have a photo here, well up there. They were not cheap, but well worth it, but there's one problem.....I have competition for them.
As you can see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment