Sunday, April 24, 2011

nicknames

Ah, don't we all know someone from our past or present with a nickname?  Well double the chance of that if you're a male. They seem to love em. Age seems to be a factor too, the younger you are the more people with nicknames you know. I knew plenty of people with nicknames when I was young, not any more. The only people with nicknames I know these days are through my husband or son. Then again, there are the affectionate (?) nicknames one gives to their children. With all these in mind I present some of the types of nicknames one might conceivably come across.
Children's nicknames : we've given our own a variety of bizarre nicknames over the years. For example my son. He copped Chucky (after the possessed doll in the movie, well he had the haircut and the name stuck). He got dork boy (don't ask me why, but he answered to it). He tried on a rap style nickname for a while in primary school (can't remember it, but it didn't stick after his friends moved away).
My husband sticks bear on the end of the younger girl's names, they seem to tolerate it. The oldest didn't seem to cop it too much.
Friend's nicknames: I got Faybian as a teenager and have been quite happy to carry it ever since. It's been good compared to some. For a time I had friends with some very interesting nicknames: Bam Bam (he in no way resembled the Flintstones character), knew a couple of Snakes, a Skull, Bowie the embarressing list goes on. I used to get foul looks from my mother if they ever rang up our home (these days they'd just call my mobile). I had a friend we used to call Delerious (Dolores), it said more about the state she was usually in than anything else. I also had a friend called Darky (he was a full blood aboriginal), he was quite happy with that. Also had a friend called Deaf John. Guess what, he was blind?? Not really, deaf of course. He used to love that I could sign (even if it was only alphabet). Mr 20 brought a kid over a few years ago (for the first time) who introduced himself as Abo as he held out his hand. I just cringed. He tried to insist on it, but we eventually settled on Chris. Why I was so insistent I don't know, I had a friend called Darky for crying out loud!
As adults the nicknames got minimally better. My husband was called Smiley (he smiles a lot, even if it's a forced grin). He says that you can say anything you like as long as you say it with a smile on your face. We had a friend we called the Terminator. He was built like a brick shit house. For a party trick he would say "I'll be back".  Of course there were the usual suspects which are below.
The usual suspects: surname as nickname (talk about imagination), sometimes with a Y chucked in for good measure. Eg; Smitty/Smithy. Adding the letter O to a name. Eg: Dicko, Tommo. Then there's just the inexplicable. Eg: Blue (for a red head, WTF?)
I'm sure there are others that people can contribute. Let me know

No comments:

Post a Comment